Job Posting #: 924118
Site: Toronto Rehab, University Centre
Department: Brain Program
Reports to: Brain Allied Health Manager
Hours: 1.0 FTE, 37.5 Hours/Week;
Wage range or Salary: $36.74 – $45.92 hourly to commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN compensation policy
Status: Permanent Full Time
Posted Date: August 31, 2023
Closing Date: Until Filled
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
Working in an exciting specialized rehab program, the Behaviour Specialist is an integral member of the interdisciplinary Acquired Brain Injury and Stroke Rehab teams here at Toronto Rehab.
- The subject matter expert on behavioural issues related to traumatic and/or acquired brain injuries including stroke, this position provides direct, hands on individual behaviour observation, assessment and treatment planning and implementation for clients who have behavioural and/or psychological issues related to their injury; collaborating with team members, the client and client’s circle of care to effectively assess the behaviour issues in order to design and implement a treatment plan within a 4 – 6 week LOS.
- Treatment plans typically use Applied Behaviour Analysis alone or in conjunction with other behaviour strategies for each client, with the goal of promoting participation in rehab and a return to normal activities of daily living through evidence based practice.
- Effective and timely evaluation of the clients’ progress on a regular basis, modifying the treatment plan as appropriate, in consultation with the team, on an ongoing basis.
- Collaboration and effective communication with a highly skilled interdisciplinary team. The team looks to the Behaviour Specialist for support in developing strategies to respond to behavioural issues in a least-intrusive most-effective ethical consistent way to improve client’s participation and benefit from therapy while minimizing risk of harm to others/self.
- Lead for facilitating regular new staff training using the PCMA Everyday Behaviour Tools Practitioner Training and supporting the programs implementation of The Ottawa Model for Smoking Cessation.
- Additional elements included within the Behaviour Specialist role are opportunities to participate in research, continuing education and quality/safety activities, preparing planning and providing educational sessions within the framework of the applied behaviour analysis model, completing required documentation in a timely manner, and performing cross-functional and other duties consistent with the job classification as assigned and/or required. Finally, the BT will work under the supervision of the program psychologist.
- Completion of a minimum of a College Diploma program
- Current registration with the Canadian Association of Rehabilitation Professionals and /or Registration/affiliation with the Canadian Psychological Association
- Training in Applied Behaviour Analysis at the College or University level
- Up to three (3) years of relevant experience working with individuals with behaviour challenges and brain injury
- Experience using Applied Behaviour Analysis with populations having impaired cognition
- Demonstrated ability to conduct functional assessments and develop & implement resulting positive behavior support plans
- Experience with adults in a hospital setting preferred
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance with UHN standards
- Exercise initiative and good judgement with ability to multitask
- Compliance with confidentiality
- Effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive offer packages
- Government organization and a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP https://hoopp.com/)
- Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- A flexible work environment
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.