Position Title: Supervisor Warehouse
Requisition ID: 8803
Career Group (ADSP): Distribution Center
Division: Logistics and Distribution (80190524)
Department: Logistics and Distribution
Position Location: METRO ON – 25 VICKERS ROAD BUILDING B (#A-VICB)
Position Type: Permanent
Reporting Relationship: Michael Mike Billingsley
Posting End Date: [TO BE UPDATED]
Recruiter: Amanda Emmanuel
This position is responsible for leading and managing the work of employees in a unionized, fast paced environment to achieve required productivity, safety and budget objectives. The Incumbent will oversee that operational functions are performed in an effective manner while monitoring work processes and environmental conditions to ensure the safety of all employees. The supervisor is responsible for adherence to the collective Bargaining Agreement and Company policies, performance management, removing barriers to productivity and creating a positive work environment through effective employee engagement. Responsible for housekeeping standards and continuous improvement initiatives within the Distribution Center. Role model the four company pillars, customer focus, best team, execution and efficiency. Provide flexible, reliable and responsive service to our stores.
Health and Safety
- Ensure that company and legislative health and safety practices are followed within the workplace through on-going monitoring of health and safety programs and audits; provision of all equipment, material and protective wear.
- Conduct facility 5s / housekeeping audits to ensure the facility is clean, tidy and efficiently laid out.
- Lead shift meetings to communicate progress, expectations and direction regarding safe work practices to employees.
- Investigate root cause of safety incidents, communicate and follow up on corrective actions with key stakeholders.
- Provide a safe working environment, adhering to health, safety and sanitation procedures. Ensure procedures are understood and practiced by the team at all times.
Engagement and People Management
- Establish and maintain high personal involvement through effective engagement, accessibility and visibility for distribution employees.
- Provide direction and coaching to unionized employees.
- Create positive union relations by attending and handling grievances in accordance to company policy and collective bargaining agreement.
- Ensures policies and practices are respected related to employee relations and promotes efforts to build strong employee engagement.
- Monitors, coaches and counsels Distribution Center employees. Accountable for the development of employees through training and mentoring.
- Maintain training matrix and ensure employees are adequately trained and competent within their role to ensure operational flexibility.
- Build a team philosophy and cultivate engagement by working with the team to achieve company targets and objectives.
- Lead and motivate a team of people to succeed by utilizing appropriate interpersonal styles including leading by example, setting objectives and defining responsibilities to give a clear sense of direction.
- Ensure open and effective two way communication at all levels.
Service and Quality
- Ensure store deliveries are prepared and loaded on time, every time using appropriate methods.
- Maximize quality and productivity by understanding the expectations of the company and assisting the Operations Manager in evaluating performance variances in order to identify root cause and corrective action.
- Ensure company policies are communicated, applied and enforced (i.e. operational, safety, Loss Prevention, Human Resources, administrative, etc).
- Responsible for directing and planning daily workload activities to optimize operational effectiveness to drive a safe, productive work environment while exceeding customer expectations.
- Establish and maintain key performance indicators (KPI’s).
- Support the Distribution Center in setting targets by participating in or leading performance improvement objectives.
- Deliver efficiencies to support year on year operational budget reduction.
- Maintain integrity of inventory according to the inbound and outbound activity using WMS.
- Conduct effective problem solving / continuous improvement initiatives through analysis of information in housed available systems (WMS, SAP, BW etc).
- At least 3 years of leadership experience within a unionized manufacturing or distribution environment is considered an asset.
- College diploma and/or University degree. Equivalent combination of post-secondary education and directly related experience can be considered. Specializing in business or supply chain management is an asset.
- Strong analytical skills (Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite).
- Strong organizational and tactical planning skills.
- Ability to work flexible shifts or hours.
- Proven record of leading diverse teams towards achieving objectives through collaborative and participatory management practices. Strong ability to manage through delegation, engagement, and proper follow-up.
- Ability to analyze business metrics and communicate targets and standards of performance which meet or exceed quality and profitability objectives.
- Effectively develop distribution teams through coaching and mentoring.
- Strong effective communication skills in a diverse multicultural environment.
- Ability to take initiative, strong work ethic, behaves with a sense of urgency.
- Strong problem solving & decision making capabilities.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new situations, as well as new and changing processes, programs and services
- Highly developed time management skills with the ability to prioritize and delegate duties as needed